Friday 6 June 2014

The Upbeat Collective - JUNE UPDATE

JUNE UPDATE

Wow, I can't believe we're almost halfway through the year!  The weather may be getting colder, but the Upbeat Collective activities are starting to warm up.    

HIGHLIGHTS
  • At this week's meetup a small group of us got to meet Danielle Tahu, the Volunteer Co-orindator from The Ride to Conquer Cancer.  This is the biggest fundraising event for the Cancer Society and basically involves participants who cycle 200km over 2 days!  All the money raised goes towards cancer research.  The event takes place on the 15th and 16th of November and I am really keen to get a group of us involved in volunteering - this could range anywhere from cheering on participants, giving out information, setting up equipment etc... watch this space for further details!  http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/index.html
  • The Upbeat Collective got profiled in the local newspapers (Western Leader and Manukau Courier). Initially I felt a bit shy to have my picture featured, but I am very pleased that more people are aware of us.   

WHAT'S COMING UP...

Film screening:  "HAPPY" (2011)

I have organised a screening of the documentary 'Happy' on Wednesday 2nd July, 7.30pm at the Yellow Lecture Theatre at Unitec, Mt Albert campus.  'Happy' is directed, written by Academy Award nominated film-maker Roko Belic.  It explores human happiness through interviews with people from 14 different countries and weaves in the newest findings of positive psychology.  I LOVED this film and can't wait to share it with you all!  

I will send out a flyer soon, but everyone is welcome (feel free to bring friends or family). 
 

Pecha Kucha Evening

HOT OFF THE PRESS... I am planning to organise a Pecha Kucha-inspired evening in July or August (date tbc).  Pecha Kucha is a simple presentation format where you show 20 images, each for 20 seconds.  The images advance automatically and you talk along to the images.  Sorry if this sounds a bit strange, but it's a FAB concept and I envision having speakers base their presentations on the theme of 'inspiration'.  This event will be open to everyone to attend and I'm keen to hear from people who'd love to present (ANYONE can be involved).    http://www.pechakucha.org/



Your help is needed
If you have time and would like to help me further organise the above events then please get in touch with me :)


HOW TO KEEP UPDATED:
Twitter:  Upbeat Collective

Your ideas and suggestions are ALWAYS welcome, so don’t hesitate to message me at upbeatcollective.nz@gmail.com

Keep up the positive work people and don’t forget that we CAN make a true difference in the lives of others.

Adios...

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment