Saturday 28 June 2014

Horsing around

Over a week ago I went horse-riding for the very first time up at Muriwai Beach.  I was extremely anxious in the week leading up to it and even contemplated opting out of the experience!  I guess I had an irrational fear that the horse would take off into the sunset and I would go flying off, arms and legs flailing in a yo-yo like manner.  Then KABOOM!  I would go crashing into the ground below. 


I was nervous to begin with!
Thankfully the experience was not a harrowing at all, rather it was it serene, breathtaking and energising at the same time.  Even though I was nervous, I placed my hand on the horse and it made me realise I could my trust in this majestic brown creature (named Jimmy by the way).  

Riding along the beach was a mesmerising experience and there were many moments when I felt my mind wandering in and out, the content forgotten, but the feeling peaceful.  There was also something exhilarating about watching the the wild west coast sea in all it's furious glory.  

We then weaved our way through the forest and passed by skeletal trees, pine cones resting on the ground, mushrooms of an unnatural shape and size, bubbling brooks and meadows shimmering in varying shades of green.  

Two hours later our ride ends and I feel indebted to Jimmy.  He guided me through tough terrain and took me past scenery I forgot existed in this region.  I am in love with New Zealand all over again. 

A big thank you to the team at About Riding for this amazing experience. http://www.aboutriding.co.nz/




Follow the leader

My colleague with Ben the horse

Riding with colleagues

Jimmy (he loved to eat)

The horses from About Riding

A well deserved rest

Muriwai


No comments:

Post a Comment