Monday 21 April 2014

3...2...1... Lift-Off!

I am very pleased to say that The Upbeat Collective successfully launched last Wednesday.  Woo hoo! 

The launch took place at Long Black Café at the Unitec Mt Albert campus, attracting over 40 people during the evening.  Leading up to the launch I was feeling excited about bringing like-minded people together, but also slightly nervous about whether any one would turn up.  Thankfully I need not worry about this as on the stroke of 5pm a steady stream of people came in the café and I must say it was exhilarating to meet many of them for the first time. 






An eclectic range of people attended the event, all with different backgrounds to share and stories to tell.  What immediately struck me was a strong sense that people wanted to help others in meaningful ways.  Some attendees shared how they overcame past adversities, some expressed a desire to make a difference, some were already involved in community organisations, some stated they had time and energy to share, and some were simply curious.  All were valid reasons.  All were welcome reasons.



For the first half of the evening people had a chance to mingle with others and have refreshments.  There were also big sheets of paper on the wall where people could respond to prompts including “Draw Happiness” and “What Inspires You”.  A photo wall was also set-up to add a bit of fun too. 

I then said a few words to officially mark the launch of The Upbeat Collective.  To be honest I did not have much time to prepare my speech(!) so I decided to speak from the heart and say what felt right at that time.  I spoke of how we were all ordinary people who can make a extraordinary difference in lives of others.  It was so exciting to see the genuine gestures of support from everyone in the room… yes, we were all in this together. 





Two members from the group, Yolanda and Nicole kindly sang few songs, each with a strong message of support for helping others and not being afraid to be who we are.



As I grow older I am aware that I not motivated by a strong need to earn lots of money or to climb the corporate ladder.  What mattered more to me was having the opportunity to speak passionately about my desire to make a difference and that we could achieve more through collective efforts.  I unashamedly like the idea of inspiring others and I am energized by the thought of performing great acts out in the community.  It was a surreal experience talking to those who came along and I meant every single word I said. 


If I could describe the launch in one word, it would be ENERGY.  The rocket has begun its launch and I cannot wait to see what new frontiers it explores over the coming months.    

Keep it upbeat :)

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment